Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Sudan: Nine Civilians Killed As Army Attempted To Clear Khartoum Protest Camp

Troops attacked the camp as protesters continued to demand civilian rule


LAHORE MIRROR (Monitoring Desk)– Heavy gunfire rattled Sudan’s capital, Khartoum on Monday, as security forces forcefully moved in to clear a protest camp of civilians who have been demanding civilian rule since the arrest of Omar Al-Bashir.

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors, a medical group linked to protesters, said at least nine people were killed and several wounded in the Monday morning raid, which was still in progress.

The committee also said security forces used live ammunition inside East Nile Hospital in Khartoum where some of the wounded were been treated.

In a post on Twitter, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) said the country’s ruling Transitional Military Council (TMC) had assigned a large number of troops to disperse the protest camp.

The sound of heavy gunfire was heard in footage broadcast from the scene, while plumes of smoke rose into the sky.

Mohammed Alamin, a journalist in Khartoum, told Al Jazeera troops from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) first used tear gas then sound grenade to disperse protesters. Soldiers then fired live rounds at the remaining protesters.

“They are now in control of most of the sit-in area and have burnt down the make-shift clinics. Most of the protesters have been dispersed. Soldiers are blocking all entrances to the area with military vehicles to stop protesters from returning,” Alamin said.

Madani Abass Madani, one of the protest leaders, has been injured as troops dispersed the protesters, Alamin added.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, witnesses spoke of soldiers being heavily armed and of using live ammunition against protesters who were peaceful and did nothing to provoke the troops.

“We are being attacked by the Rapid Support Forces and the police,” Mamadou Abozeid, a protester in Khartoum, told Al Jazeera over the phone.

Mohammed Elmunir, another protester in the Sudanese capital, said security forces blocked the exits of the sit-in site before opening fire on protesters.

“They were shooting at every one randomly and people were running for their lives. They blocked all roads and most tents at the sit-in have been set on fire,” Elmunir told Al Jazeera.